Lump near the tonsils. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
I am a 23 year old male who is in good health. About a month ago I began to get the feeing that I had something caught in my throat. I was able to remove what appeared to be a small white piece of food a couple of times and the feeling subsided. It is now back again, and cannot find any pieces of food. Additionally, there appears to be an off-colored lump where I am having this feeling (just to the right of my tonsils). Do you have any idea what this is? Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for such symptoms is a “Tonsillolith”.

2. The palatine tonsil has multiple crypts or furrows which pick up food particles while swallowing when the food rubs against the tonsils. This food is analyzed by the tonsil tissue to boost immunity, especially under the age of five years. The largest crypt is known as the Crypta Magna. This is the most likely location of your tonsillolith.

3. You will have to get this diagnosis confirmed by direct examination by a local ENT Speciaist or a Dentist. Alternatively, you can share an image of your oral cavity with the off-colored lump or when a piece of food gets stuck.

4. Usually no treatment is required for a Tonsilolith, though some patients who have severe discomfort or halitosis (foul mouth odour) request various options such as cleaning, curettage, laser and surgery.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.