Lump in upper abdomen, urge to pass stools, lump in throat. What could this be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a small sausage like lump in upper abdomen. Flatulance and feeling I need to pass stools, but nothing??
I also have a feeling of lump in throat. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
This sounds like stomach issue. YOu shouldnt feel anything like that in your stomach. It can be tumefaction caused by gastric or small bowel obstruction or it can be sign of intraabdominal mass( tumour). Feeling of lump in throat, bloating, heartburn, fatigue, abdominal discomfort,loss of apetite and breathing difficulties are signs of hiatus hernia, GERD or gastritis. YOu should do endoscopic procedures,gastroscopy and colonoscopy to evaluate your condition. If this is obstruction it can be caused by polyps or inflammatory diseases in most cases,but we should rule out some more serious disorders such as malignancies, no matter how young you are.

Symptoms of gastrits are aggravated after meal, long sitting, leaning forward,stress and anxiety. In the beginning this is treated by changing dietary habbits.
You should avoid alcohol,coffee,smoking,fats and fast food, carbonated drinks and eat more milk and milk products, fruit and vegetables,boiled food and natural beverages and teas. 1 hour after meal you should not sit or lay. Also lay with elevated upper body. If you are overweight you should do often exercise and lose weight.

Secondly, there are antiacid medicines which are usually helpful,you should consult your GP about this. If symptoms persist,you should do tests i ve mentioned, this is not something taht you should ignore.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Lump in upper abdomen, urge to pass stools, lump in throat. What could this be? 15 minutes later
Thanks very much. I do get quite stressed as I run a business and I drink coffee every day and have a very sedentary job. I play football twice a week but do think my diet should change.

In the past I have had urinary issues having to get up at night and go to toilet. I had a prostate test and all was fine and doc put down to stress. Can't help thinking its all related. It does come and go so its not with me all the time?

My main concerns have been the feeling of needing to pass stools but nothing happens. Do you think these symptoms can be diet and stress related?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
This is called tenesmus, and it can result from many causes.
Most common are Irritable bowel syndrome(which can be aggravated by stress and food), diverticulosis, Inflammatory bowel disease, Coeliac disease, Prolapsed hemorrhoid, Kidney stones and tumours.

And yes, it can be related to your prostate problem because prostate is close to rectum and its enlargement, infection or irritation will affect rectum and cause urge for defecation. I am sure that this is related and you should repeat urine analysis, prostate ultrasound, and digitorectal exam. This is at least what should be done.
If you notice blood in stool,report this to your GP,it can be sign of hemorrhoids, fisures or rectal tumours.