Lump in throat, coughing clear phlegm. Stopped smoking. Is this normal?

I have just stopped smoking and always feel like I have a lump in my throat and also coughing a clear flem is this normal? Thanks
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is a common thing in people who quit smoking. The hair on the cells that are in the respiratory lumen become active when they are not exposed to the smoke. This causes increasing in the secretions. It is useful since it permits to many particles to excrete from the lung. Fortunately it is transient and many people find it improved after one or two weeks. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you a good health especially after quitting.
Follow-up: Lump in throat, coughing clear phlegm. Stopped smoking. Is this normal? 4 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. Would stopping smoking cause me to have the odd pain in my chest? And also make it hard to sleep on a night? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 10 minutes later
Hi there, thanks again. Yes! stopping smoking can cause insomnia for 2 to 3 weeks which could be managed with medications or relaxation therapy. It also can cause palpitation (which could be with a pain in the chest) for a limited time. It is a benign thing, though.