Lump in throat. No pain. What is it?

ENT Specialist
I have a quick question about my throat guys. Right next to my XXXXXXX there is like a slight raise that is kinda like a small lump were talking mm here in size and it seems to be either part of my throat or really close to it. It is really small in size on the left side of my neck. It is not present on the right side of my next. I doesn't hurt or anything and i cant even notice it without seeking it out. Almost like a raised vein on the side of the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I dont feel pain or swelling no shortness of breath or diffculty breathing, I know it is not thyroid cancer or a lump because the thyroid is below my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX But now that i found it i just feel weird knowing its there even though i cant feel it or even notice it. Any idea as to what it was. I did have an abscess and a swollen lymph node. I noticed in a couple weeks ago and hasnt gotten bigger. Any idea what it is? Is this normal to have?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding small lump on left side of yur neck, it is slightly above the adam's XXXXXXX and itis so small that without seeing it you can't find it out, this small lump is neither painful nor tender.

Considering all aspects of your observation it appears to be either of these-

(1) Thyroglossal cyst.

(2) Prominent vein.

(3) Enlarge Lymph node.

To confirm the fact you have to do these investigations-

(a) Ultrasonography.

(b) FNAC from lump.

A thorough examination and clinical co-relations of bove investigation's report will help us in making correct diagnosis which may be accordingly manage.

Follow-up: Lump in throat. No pain. What is it? 16 minutes later
Are any of those life threatening I am deathly afraid of needles and have no insurance for the next 6 months? Will I be okay? I believe it to be a swollen lymph node because of the abscess I had. I have one that is 1cm in size and I guess another in the mm in size. It makes a popping noise when I push it left to right. Is this cause for huge concern?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 14 minutes later

Thanks for reconsultation.

None of the above suspected conditins are life threatening. All of them can be managed easily.Above two investigations will clear the picture. Here I am telling you line treatment of these conditions.-

(a) Thyroglossal cyst- Treatment is Surgical excison.

(b) Prominent vein- Need no treatment.

(c) Enlarge Lymph node- treatment is by medicines/surgery depending on the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Lump in throat. No pain. What is it? 8 minutes later
Are thyroglossal cyst usually in the middle of the neck? Or to the side mine is to the side. And I read that they get bigger very quick and mine doesn't get bigger at all it has stayed the same size. Mine is also not visible or showing like many others. Should I just wait and see if it gets bigger?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 44 minutes later

Welcome in H.C.M. for rewriting to your query.

This thyroglossal cyst is a cystic lump, developes from a remnant of tubular connection between thyroid gland and tongue. Towards the thyroid end it is connected to isthmus of thyroid gland . this isthmus is covering the anterior central part. Some times it is connected to mid piont of isthmus tnan it becomes in the centre but moreoften it is connected to either right or left end of isthmus thus it's position changes accordingly. It may be present between upper end of thyroid and base of tongue.

Regarding it's growth sometimes it remaines of same size for quite long time and sometimes it's growth is progressive.