Lump in the upper arm after blood draw. Should be concerned?

Infertility Specialist
Question
After having blood drawn today a lump came up in my upper arm, what could this be, should I be concerned or just wait for it to go down?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The lump you are describing is just small subcutaneous collection of blood. There will also be small collection of fluid (edema).

Let me reassure you that it will disappear in 5 days. Don’t worry about it at all. It is going to reduce from tomorrow and disappear soon.

I hope I answered your question. Please accept my answer if no more questions.

Follow-up: Lump in the upper arm after blood draw. Should be concerned? 8 hours later
Thank you.

The Tech who drew the blood said he "blew" the vein, what ever that means, and put a very tight wrap around the arm, when the wrap was removed there was a big golf ball size lump above the elbow area. Did putting a tight wrap around the arm cause this big lump?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

The technician could have punctured (blew) the vein. It is like pricking a hole in water pipe. But the blood gets clotted soon and seals the punctured vein.

The blood that has leaked out from the vein has formed this lump. The technician has wrapped it up to put pressure on the vein which would help stop bleeding, form a clot & seal it. So, the tight wrap did not cause the lump.

Hence, I would like to reassure you again that it is going to get absorbed soon and you don’t worry about it. Relax and carry on with your daily work.