Lump in the cervix. Have to go for a pap smear test. Cancer chances?

Thank you! I have a hard lump on my cervix as well as a depression to the side of it with what feels like a slightly messy edge. I've booked in for a pap test. i understand that it is likely to be just a cyst, but nontheless I'm concerned about cancer. I'm 42 years old with two children, youngest age 8.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

You have observed a hard lump in your cervix and you also have history of irregular and heavy bleeding.

It is good that you are getting your ‘PAP smear; test done. That will determine if there is any dysplasia or abnormal cell growth. If there is, a colposcopy and biopsy needs to be done.

There can be many causes for lump in cervix like nabothian cyst which is a benign cyst of the cervix. It could also be due to irritation from trauma (following vaginal delivery or a tampon), polyp from the upper cervical canal or the lining of the uterine cavity (endometrium), nodule, wart, infection apart from cervical carcinoma.

So do not be worried. Go ahead with the Pap smear. I will be available to provide you with more information upon knowing the results of Pap smear

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.