Lump in the center of abdomen. Ultrasound shows lipoma. Scheduled for surgical removal of lipoma. Any suggestion?

General Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with either an abdomenal heria, a lipoma or "fat necrosis" in the abdomenal area. I have a lump of about 2x2x1 centimeters just in the center of my abdomen about 1-2 inches above the belly buttom. The lump started as a pain on the left side and seemed to move to the middle of my abdomen. I also have generalized disconfort around that area and now a sharp but not severe pain just under my rib cage on the left. I had a abdomen ultrasound limited 0000 with the results indicating a lipoma or fat necrosis. I was referred to a general surgeon for a "biopsy" but he indicated that he though I had a hernia and would surgically repair it or remove the lipmoa if that is what it is. Do I need further testing before I proceed? What options are there for surgical removal of the lipoma and/or herinia repai
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No further diagnostics is necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Here are the facts:
1. Lipoma never cause any pain.
2. Abdominal ultrasound is not 100% accurate in hernia diagnostics as a hole in the abdominal wall can be very small.
3. Biopsy idea is not a good idea.

No further diagnostics is necessary. Your surgeon is right. Just have this lump removed or hernia repaired. It is not a big surgery as a lump is also very tiny. And you will get the answer right away.

The other thing is that your abdominal pain does not have to be caused by this lump. Hernia can cause abdominal pain however it is strongest in the lump area and the pain aggravates while coughing or lifting heavy objects.

Left abdominal pain under the rib cage with negative blood work is quite often caused by stomach issues like peptic ulcer. That is why gastroscopy needs to be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.