Ask a Urologist   »  

Lump in penis which is sore and has milky pus. Any ideas?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
yesterday i noticed a pea sized lump in the head of my penis which is sore. any ideas? today when i squeze a milky puss comes ot a little bit
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 45 minutes later

Pus filled swelling on the head of penis is most likely due to genial infection.
Even if it is small and has minimal discharge it can worsen or spread if not treated. Another reason to get it treated is to prevent any ascending infection of the urethra or urinary tract which can then give rise to more complications.

It’s best if you consult your physician for a thorough examination, so that he can start appropriate antibiotic anti inflammatory drugs. If you have any other symptoms like burning or itching during urination or pain in abdomen then a urine routine test might be required. Do discuss it with your doctor.

To hasten healing you should practice good genital hygiene, drink plenty of water and avoid unprotected sexual intercourse till it heals.

Please do not worry as it is a common problem and likely to resolve completely after antibiotic treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any other queries.

Follow-up: Lump in penis which is sore and has milky pus. Any ideas? 7 hours later
i masturated using baby oil a few days back, could that have been the cause?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Baby oil per se does not cause infection but yes, if it was contaminated or more likely done with unclean hands then that could be the cause. The source of infection could be the oil, so avoid using it [the same bottle] in future. If you practice adequate genital hygiene like washing up after masturbation or sexual intercourse such a problem can be prevented.

As of now, you need to control the present pustules by appropriate antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor after examining it. I feel it will resolve soon since it is not likely a sexually transmitted infection. So don’t worry. Hope I have answered your query.

Please accept the reply if you have no further queries.