Lump in palm. Father had Dupytrens contraction. Any remedy other than surgery?

General Surgeon
I have a lump in the lower portion of my left palm. Its in the outside cushion of my palm below my little finger and ring finger. It's been there for a few years now but its starting to bug me today more than usual. Its firm and about a half inch in size. Its below the surface and when aggravated seems to move up but I've been able to push it down before back to lower below the surface so it isn't aggravated so much. I think this happened when I was weight lifting years ago but it just won't go away. My father has Dupytrens contraction but this doesn't look like that to me. Thanks so much...I really don't want surgery but I need this to go away...
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
I saw your palm with swelling in the photo.
It looks to be a Cyst in the palm.It has occured due to trivial trauma to that area.
It is not Dupuytrens contracture.
I am sorry to say that there are no medicines for that.
Only option is surgical removal of it.
It is a minor procedure.It is done as Out patient procedure.
If you do not want surgery,then you can reduce the swelling temporarily by aspirating the fluid with Disposable syringe.But,there is chance of recurrence with this.
So,get it removed completely with minor surgical procedure
If you have any queries,i can clarify further
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Lump in palm. Father had Dupytrens contraction. Any remedy other than surgery? 4 minutes later
I think thats the best remedy. it seems to be causing lower blood flow to my small finger when it flairs up also. What is the recovery time for the surgery? I play a lot of tournament golf and don't want to be out of commission for too long. Thanks for you prompt reply.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 minutes later
This swelling cannot cause lower blood flow as it is small and cannot compress the underlying structures.
You can do your routine work the next day after surgery with small medicated plaster over the incision site.
If you take good antibiotic like Cefpodoxime and anti inflammatory drug after surgery,there will be no infection and swelling .You will recover very fast.
You can play golf tournaments within a week after surgery.
Do not worry
Wish you good health