Lump in neck, headache, breast cancer

General Surgeon
HI my name is XXXXXXX I have had a lump in the left side of my neck for quite some time now. sometimes it causes headaches and other times it is just there. I can feel it sometimes but other times I really have to search for it. I have had breast cancer 4.5 years ago but have been all clear since can you tell me what this could be.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 5 hours later

Lumps in the neck are quite common and most of the times the cause in such lumps is is usually benign.

Sometimes such lumps may be the indication of serious disease, e.g. malignancy or chronic infection and so a complete assessment ,investigations for diagnosis are essential.

In patients over the age of 40 with previous history of malignancy detailed assessment and investigation is essential to rule out neoplastic cause.

Inflammatory, congenital and traumatic causes are seen in youngsters but neoplasm needs to be ruled out .

As the lump appear sometimes & becomes invisible other time ,so chances of malignancy appear less.Because malignant lumps are hard, fixed ,non mobile ,they generally don`t become invisible once they start growing.

But keeping in mind your past history of well treated breast cancer ,chances of malignancy again appear less.

But still I will advise to get it investigated from specialist. there is no harm in getting doubly sure.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”