Lump in left buttock, no pain or discoloration. Have a pulled muscle. Need help

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Today I felt a XXXXXXX lump in my left buttock cheek I did pull a back muscle a week ago would that be related?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Lump in left buttock, no pain or discoloration. Have a pulled muscle. Need help 5 minutes later
Almost a month I had a lump on my back but very painful and skin was discolored my doctor drained it and gave me a long regiment of antibiotic now it almost gone and no pain. This time my lump in my buttock cheek it is XXXXXXX no pain and no skin discoloration but I do have back pain from pulling a muscle last Sunday.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Yes, the lump could most probably due to a muscle strain since you mention it's XXXXXXX , no changes in skin . It can also be due to other causes like an abscess , a soft tissue inflammation like fat necrosis , ligament injury, minor blood vessel injury causing an XXXXXXX bruise.
However since you have no pain and no restriction of movement , no fever etc it's less likely to be infection or inflammation.
As of now there is nothing worrisome and you can expect it to resolve on its own in a couple of weeks . But if you feel any worsening in the form of increased size, pain tenderness , swelling of the limb or difficulty in movement then you should consult your doctor . The doctor after careful examination and tests like X-ray , ultrasound ,blood counts etc can confirm the cause and start appropriate treatment .
I have advised you to be watchful for one particular reason ie the past history of a back abscess needing drainage . In some cases abscesses can recurr especially if the patient has a low immunity or diabetes or on any medications .
So please do not worry as I still feel this is most probably due to the muscle pull & nothing serious but it's best to track the progress of the lump to be on the safer side.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.