Lump in groin, developed pus, became painful. Not infected follicle. Help

Oncologist, Surgical
Few days ago I noticed a small lump (about 3cms) in my groin area in the pubic hair region just above the about 5-6 cms above the penis. For the first few days it was painless. But then it turned painful and today morning it had developed pus. It burst while I was having shower and the pus and blood flowed out. Just to be sure, I squeezed it a bit and the last remaining solid pus had come out. It cannot be a infected follicle since it is larger. Also, I can feel a bit of mass under my skin below the lump. The mass is still there even after removing the pus. This is the first time this is happening and I maintain very good hygiene.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

I can understand your apprehension regarding your problem. By your description and history it does appear to be an inflammatory condition (can be folliculitis or a small abscess). My advise to you would be to visit a surgeon and have it drained completely. You would also require an oral antibiotic. The mass which you are feeling can be the residual pus which cannot be expressed by simple squeezing and would require some surgical intervention.
You should also share your sexual history with the surgeon to make sure it is not a sexually transmitted disease.

Hope you get well soon