Lump in breast, hair thinning, pain in legs and back, disturbed vision. What could it be?

I have found a lump in my right breast, lately my hair has got much thinner and has started to fall out, as well as bad pain in muscles, legs, shoulders and back - what could this be? I also have block arteries behind my eyes and disturbed vision, I have arthritis in my back and knees
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Hair loss in your age can be androgenetic or diffuse type of hair loss.

Androgenetic alopecia can be caused by hormonal changes which occur at your age.

Is your menstrual cycles regular or you have reached menopause?

Which drug you are taking for hypertension?

Any H/O fever illness lately?

Any stressful events in life recently.

Diffuse hair loss can be due to variety of causes including nutritional deficiency or anemia (low hemoglobin levels).

Pain in muscles and leg, back can also be due to anemia.

My Advise to you would be -

To get a complete blood work up including Hb, Complete blood count .

Also TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone ) levels should be checked as thyroid diseases can cause hair loss and body cramps.

Treatment can be started after finding out cause of hair loss.

Breast lump is a separate issue . Breast lump needs to be examined by a physician or certified surgeon. A ultrasonography or mammography needs to be done to ascertain the nature of lump.

Please answer the above questions to help you better.

Anticipating your reply.

Follow-up: Lump in breast, hair thinning, pain in legs and back, disturbed vision. What could it be? 25 minutes later
What about the lump in my breast? Could it be scar tissue from the pace maker? It was implanted a year ago. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later

Breast lump can be from scar tissue of pacemaker .It can also be fibroadenoma a benign tumour.It is very hard to comment on nature of lump without proper investigation and physical examination.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with answer please accept it and rate it at the end.

I will be available for follow up in future if you need any further clarification.