Lump in breast, above the edge of areola, slightly red. Cancer?

ENT Specialist
Three days ago I developed a lump in my right breast on top about an inch above the edge of the areola. My skin is slightly red in this area and the lump is painful. It cannot be seen with the naked eye but is just under the skin surface and has gotten bigger since I first noticed it. I am going to a doctor next week but am terrified. I'm 41 and have two children. I am not pregnant and do not take birth control or any prescription meds and am otherwise healthy. I did get my period yesterday. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 29 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

First of all I want to clear a fact that unilateral small breast lumps are mostly benign, and many a times just requires a simple surgical excision.

Let me tell you about the different causes of this condition, and then we will come to a probable diagnosis.

Causes are----

* Breast Infection--
Infection can cause a painful breast lump. This is most common in women who are breast feeding but can also occur at other times. A breast lump caused by an infection is likely to be painful. Some women will also have redness in the breast.

* Breast Injury---
Injury to the breast or to the chest wall can cause a painful lump. A direct blow to the breast can cause bruising inside the breast tissue. This sometimes results in a painful breast lump.

* Benign Breast Lumps or Fibroadenomas--
Adenoma lumps are common. An adenoma in the breast is a benign lump that does not turn into cancer. They are usually painless but some women are aware of discomfort.

* Breast Cyst----
Breast cysts are often tender, and sometimes are really quite painful. A breast cyst is a benign lump that is filled with fluid. They often change size and can seem to appear or disappear as the hormone levels change in a womans menstrual cycle. They often are most uncomfortable or painful just before your period is due - typically improving when the period starts.

* Breast Cancer--
Breast cancer lumps are often painless - And there are many associated symptoms and signs with it like lymphadenopathy.

Most probably you have just an infection of ductal system of breast.
So, please do not worry.

What you will have to do now--

Consult a General Surgeon soon and get FNAC of breast lump done, it will clear out the diagnosis, and treatment will be accordingly.

Don't worry, you will be alright.

Hope this will help you, and I am ready for the future follow ups.

Follow-up: Lump in breast, above the edge of areola, slightly red. Cancer? 3 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I forgot to mention I am also feeling some pain in the underarm area, could this be lymphadenopathy or is it just radiating from the breast pain? Thank you...
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Underarm pain may be due to lymphadenitis, just dont worry, take a course of good antibiotic and anti inflammatory, under supervision of your gynecologist.

It is just a benign condition, but please get yourself evaluated soon.