Lump in breast. Under arm pain, breast pain. Have fibosystic accompanied with dizziness and headaches. Why?

Pulmonologist
Question
I checked my blood pressure yesterday and it was 155/103; should I be concerned? Secondly, I am still going to the doctors after 2 rounds of mammo and ultrasounds to find out what this lump on my left breast is. I am 32 and I have pain in my underarm as well that is on and off, no pain in the breast. My first doctor said its fibrosystic and now I am schedule to see a surgeon on the 24th of this month after being with this lump for 6 months and he will review the mammos and the ultrasounds that according to the previous doctor, show nothing. I am confused and have been feeling dizzy for a few days in the morning and occasional headaches in the morning, I guess that is why my blood pressure is high? Please let me know if I should worry and what to ask the surgeon on the 24th?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

After going through your history I would like to suggest the following:

1.Fibrocystic nature of your lump and no progression for 6 months point towards the bening nature of this lump.

2. At your age mammography is mostly not advocated due to the high density of breast tissue and that make the interpretation of mammo inconclusive.

3. Sonography does detect any malignant change if present. And in your case no such changes were detected. That again points to the bening nature of the lump.

4. In your next visit with the doctor:
a. Get lymphnodes in your body clinically examined by your doctor.
b. Consult your doctor regarding the option FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from the best lump which might clinch the diagnosis.

5. Some clinical questions of relevance here are:
a. are you married? do you have kids?
b. are your menses regular? Is there any pain in the breast lump at the time of menses?
c. is the lump freely mobile or is it hard and fixed?
d. is there any discharge/bleeding from the lump or the nipples?

6. Coming to your increased blood pressure reading, I would like to comment the following:
a. The blood pressure seems to have been taken from an electronic instrument. Get your blood pressure measured by your physician/ paramedic with a mercury blood pressure apparatus (sphygmomanometer).
b. As you yourself have admitted that you are under stress and this can lead to a transient rise in blood pressure associated with anxiety.
c. It will be advisable to destress yourself, relax and then in a stress free atmosphere get your blood pressure monitored.
d. also you are advised to do light exercises and decrease the intake of salt in your diet.

7. Remember worry is no solution to any problem. We need to face the problems and sort them out. In your case none of the results of any investigation point towards a risky situation. You just need to be calm and relaxed and approach the solution in a step by step manner.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Lump in breast. Under arm pain, breast pain. Have fibosystic accompanied with dizziness and headaches. Why? 28 hours later
To answer your clinical questions:
Yes, I am married with two kids. I only breast fed for a few months with each child. My menstrual cycle is normal and the lump is the same, before and after my cycle. The lump is fixed, long thick like a thick string bean. No discharge or bleeding from the nipple or lump area. The lump has not grown, but feels the same. The problem is if one has fiborcystic breast, do they live with a lump for the rest of their lives? What would explain the on and off pain under my armpit?

My first doctor felt my lymph nodes under my armpit and she confirmed they are tender and large, but ultrasound of the lymph node area was ever done.

I guess one just lives with lumps for the rest of their lives?

Thanks for all your help.

I am going to go back to exercising, but I have lost 30lbs in the last year so I know I am not over weight.

Thanks for the follow up.

After going through the clinical information provided in the follow up, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your breast lump seems to be a benign fibrocystic one.

2. The pain in your armpit is probably due to the involvement of tender lymphnodes. You can take symptomatic medications for the same under prescription from your physician for the same.

3. Fibrocystic disease of the breast is a benign disease and most of the times it resolves on its own over time. However you need to under regular follow up with your physician, who can examine and monitor its progress.

4. In case some complications develop or if it shows suspicious changes, then there is always the final option of getting it removed surgically.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB