Lump between shoulder and neck. What is it?

Sep 2012

I have this lump between my shoulder blade and neck, its been there for about 30 years, its not painful but I just want to know what it is. I am a retired Barber that has cut a lot of hair over the years ( I am 68 years old ) when I am relaxed I can move it with hands. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Your description indicates a lump in the swelling present in the cervical region. It is there for the last 30 years.

The duration indicates that the lump could be a lipoma or a muscle tissue or a benign lesion of skin. It is definitely a benign lesion. Because a cancerous lesion would show recent increase in size.

But, for definitive diagnosis, a clinical examination is must. It is impractical to comment anything definitely. Because, the exact position, size, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structure, are all very important in concluding with a definite diagnosis.

So, it would be better to consult with a general surgeon for a detailed clinical examination. Do not worry, it will not create much problem.

If clinical examination becomes noncontributory, then you need a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) study. It will detect the abnormality without any surgical intervention.

If the FNAC also becomes noncontributory, then you have to consult with surgeon for excisional biopsy. Here, the lump is removed surgically and then it is sent to a pathologist for identification of its exact diagnosis.

So, you have to consult with a general surgeon first for a detailed clinical examination and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.