Lump between rectum and vagina, redness, bleeding, painful. Have diarrhea. What to do?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi please can you help. I went to the doctor today he didn't even examine me and booked me in for an anal exam in 2 weeks time?! I'm in agony, my carer thought it was piles but it doesn't look like any pictures and I have a lump between the rectum and the vagina not around the rectum, it is large, red with a slit through it that is bleeding? It is extremely painful and I don't know what to do I'm in so much pain. I have diarrhoea and it's so sore to wipe, sit or move I'm just keeping it plastered in sudocrem at the moment I don't know what to do?
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Hello!

Thanks for writing in.
It looks like you have an abscess in the region you have described. In most cases it happens when skin glands gets blocked and infected by bacteria. However it can be a symptom of anal fistula (abnormal connection between the anus and the skin). That is why you doctor booked you for colonoscopy. It should be done to rule any inflammatory intestines diseases out like Crohn`s disease. But first of all, the abscess should be cut to let the pus drain. it is very important and urgent as not cutting it may result with spreading of the inflammation. So you should not wait, and visit a surgeon.

According to your IBS, it may happen that it is not IBS, but Crohn`s disease or other intestines inflammatory disease. It would be good news as you could find remedy for your symptoms.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.