Lump behind right ear,no headaches. On medicines for underactive thyroid. Bothersome?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I have a small lump which has appeared behind my right ear. Its rather hard and bone like. It is above my glands within
the middle height of my ear. I do have an underactive thyroid. Which I take 250mg a day for. I am 46 healthy, slim and 5'9. It does not hurt and I do not have headaches. But is is pea size and very hard. Is this something I should worry about and should I bother my doctor with.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your complaints. Thank you for sharing your history and the image of the swelling with XXXXXXX From your complaints, the swelling looks benign and is not something you should worry about too much. Most likely, it looks like a dermoid cyst, which is a benign swelling usually found behind the ear. The easiest way to confirm the diagnosis and also rule out a cancer, is to get a needle test (FNAC) done. The results would confirm the diagnosis. If it tuns out to be a dermoid cyst, you can get it removed under local anaesthesia as a day care procedure.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Lump behind right ear,no headaches. On medicines for underactive thyroid. Bothersome? 34 hours later
I wrote yesterday about a hard lump behind my right ear. I did go to my doctor who asked me to keep an eye on it and didn't think it was anything to worry about. However I have another two lumps now appeared behind my left ear which unlike the one on the right is tender to touch. I also woke up with morning with swollen hand which are stiff to move. I havn't eaten anything unusual recently. Any ideas, I really don't want to bother my doctor again, when nothing really was said.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 22 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your complaints. The recent lumps which you have noticed behind your left year could be lymph nodes, which have become enlarged due to foci of infection in the head & neck region. They must be painful because of the same reason. There is no reason to be afraid and these swelling should be subside within a few days. With regards to your arm, kindly check if there is some infection in the hand/ arm. Did you get hurt recently?
You can take an over the counter analgesic for the pain and observe the swelling for a few days.