Lump behind ear, night sweats, sore throat, brain fog

I have a quick question concerning a small, tender lump behind my ear. I felt it as I was showering today, it's located behind my ear but towards the bottom (sort of on the same level with where the ear lobe is, but back more). I have also had ringing in my ears for some time now (especially when I lay down to go to bed, but also sometimes when I am standing/sitting up). And I have night sweats occasionally. I am about to turn 23 years old (I'm a male), weigh approximately 195/200 pounds, I have a healthy appetite, no major migrains/headaches (but a lot of brain fogginess), and my face has been blushed red for some time now. I am currently a graduate student pursuing a Master's degree and drink an enormous amount of caffeine (and I don't exercise). I was also sick with a soar throat about 2 or 3 weeks ago (although the night sweats and ringing has been going on for some time). I have been checkin, but do not have a fever. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later

After analyzing your history, that is :
1)Small tender lump behind your ear.
2)Ringing sensation in the ears.
3)History of sore throat 2-3 weeks ago.

I consider that the complaints are suggestive of an ear infection possibly of an middle ear infection.
The lump behind your ear which is tender appears like a lymph node which usually swells during the infection.

Ringing sensation can happen because of the minute collection of water in the middle ear as reaction to the infection.

But the above are possible things that can be considered in the present scenario, only a clinical examination can find out the exact cause , so i suggest you to consult a General practitioner / ENT specialist and after examination doctor will decide the next course of management.

Meanwhile i advice you to cut down the enormous consumption of the caffeine.
Do exercise regularly which will keep your health better.

Occasional night sweats bears less relevance with the above symptoms and if it persists(even after resolve of the above symptoms) or increases then it should be evaluated in detail, for now we should concentrate on the possible ear infection.

Hope this helps you.