Lump at the bottom of vulva, bleeding, oozing. Swab was normal. What can it be ?

I have a 4cm (approx) lump just to the right of the back passage at the bottom of the vulva which at first I thought was a boil. This was 6 weeks or so ago.
I had antibiotics but then noticed it didn't burst or go away.
It seemed to get bigger- I had it examined again and my doctor said it is probaby a cyst. I am waiting for a referral to a surgeon for a possible biopsy etc. In the meantime, it started bleeding and oozing about ten days ago. I had it looked at again and a swab was taken but it was normal, so I was not given any antibiotics. I have noticed it bleeding and oozing again last night and today.
It is uncomfortable, I feel sure it is making me feel unwell, possibly very tired, I am also concerned about the recurring bleeding etc.
I have been told the referral might take a while, and I am anxious in case I have cancer. In 1998 I had a carcinoid tumour removed from my appendix. Although I have been monitored up until 2009 there was no indication of that having recurred but I still worry about it. However I just want to know what is wrong, why I have this lump, and what is going on.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 hours later
Hello there.

I believe that you most probably have a Bartholin's cyst which might have gotten calcified/infected. It usually occurs on the mucosal surface of the vulva. It occurs due to blockage of the duct of the gland and is quite common.Intercourse may be painful. Im sure that you understand that without examination it cannot be confirmed.

So you have to keep your mind open.If indeed a cyst is confirmed upon examination then its nothing to worry about.A small surgical procedure is done to remove the cyst.Antibiotics will be needed.

Most often in case of small cysts they resolve even without treatment.But your case,the cyst is pretty large and long term hence some procedure may be required.

You will have to wait for the surgeon's/gynaecologist's opinion here.Meanwhile,hot fomentation might help in reducing the pain.You can also take ibuprofen if pain is severe.Avoid intercourse and keep good hygiene to avoid infection of the surrounding area.This cyst is uaully not harmful and definitely not cancer,but that again depends on confirmation.

Hope that was helpful.
Any follow up queries are welcome.