Lump appeared on knee cap and it is sore to touch. What should I do to get relief?

i just fell down on my knee area about one hour ago and now i have a lump just below the knee cap and it is sore to the touch. it happend at a dance the floor was stickey,my left foot stuck to the floor my body keep going forward and down i went
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later

Sorry, to hear about that.

Few things you can try are - restrict the joint movements, reduce weight bearing, apply ice, keep limb elevated , use compression and take oral analgesics for pain.

Such lumps can be due to either joint effusion or subcutaneous hematoma.

All such cases of knee should be primarily investigated with xray and if needed MRI.
MRI is needed when ligament, meniscal or tendon injury is suspected.

So do consider to see an orthopedic doctor.

Please ask if there are doubts.