Lump appeared on breast. Could the prednisone and it's supression of the immune system caused this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi - several days after finishing a brief 5 day round of prednisone for a bad case of poison ivy, a lump appeared in my wife's breast. It is kind of hard and changes size on a day to day basis. We are awaiting the results of a biopsy. Could the prednisone and it's supression of the immune system caused this lump to form? It came out of nowhere.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later

There is less possibility for prednisone to be responsible for the lump because:
If prednisone caused suppression of immune system and affected breast tissue that will be in the form of infection called mastitis usually.
Mastitis usually presents with pain and swelling of the breast with signs of inflammation and not as hard mass.
According to studies prednisolone is showed to cause breast mass in only 0.09% of users.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW As she is having hard lump there are possibilities for fibroadenoma and rarely malignancy.
Though there is no family history the chance of tumor cannot be excluded.
But don't worry breast carcinoma is not as common as fibroadenoma.
So possibly the biopsy report will clear the doubt.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Lump appeared on breast. Could the prednisone and it's supression of the immune system caused this? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply. Do you make anything of the fact that the lump seems to change size often? At first I was thinking it might be a complex cyst.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Usually complex cyst or lump formed by fibrocystic tissue will increase in size just prior to menstruation due to hormonal fluctuation, so at the age of 56(menopausal age group) these are rare.
They can be rubbery to firm to feel and being hard is rare.
Benign tumors like fibroadenomas grow slowly, rapid growth is rare in them.
Malignant tumors can grow rapidly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.