Lump and bleeding from face after fall. On Coumadin for stroke. Stopped warfarin due to bleeding. Further treatment?

My 77 year old mother called me today to inform me that she fell at 2:00 a.m. this morning which was about 17 hours ago. I do not live near her and urged her to call 911 because she fell on her face in the kitchen and she bled quite a bit. She continued to bleed a little bit throughout today. She hasn;t complained of having a headache. She has said she has a lump on her face that is moving upwards towards her eye. Is that XXXXXXX She could have been bleeding more than usual because she is on coumadin because of a stroke three years ago. I told her not to take another Warfarin tonight since she is still bleeding a little. Well, she just told me a few minutes ago it has subsided. I'm mainly concerned about the lump.
Should I go against her wishes and call 911 for her? She has told me and all my siblings she's feeling fine and to leave her alone. My father is there but he is 83 so I don't know how observant he will be for her the next few hours and through the night.
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
In fact the lump is not the problem.
The problem is the possibility of internal bleeding which may another couple of days to manifest.this fear is accentuated by the fact that she is an old lady of 77 years and on anti coagulants.
In fact there should be somebody near to her and have a close watch on her so that her condition can be monitored and look for any sign of drowsiness or altered consciousness.
Since your father is very old,this duty of watching her has to be done either by somebody else or in a hospital.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Lump and bleeding from face after fall. On Coumadin for stroke. Stopped warfarin due to bleeding. Further treatment? 13 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your answer. I know she was not drowsy all day and now it has been at least 18 hours since she fell. She will get drowsy at bedtime for sure. Is it ok if she goes to sleep? I will still call her and tell her what you have said and urge her to call 911 to go to the hospital for monitoring. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 minutes later
As such no problem seems to be there at the moment.
She can go to sleep.
Ask her not to take any sedative.
The problem period is initial 48 hours after the injury.