Lump above knee cap on quadricep tendon, no pain. What could it be?

Hello, I have noticed a lump just above my knee cap on the quadricep tendon. It is about the size of a Lima bean. It is painless. I noticed it about a week and a half ago but I don't know how long it's been there.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From your description(the size and location), we could suspect a few conditions. Although the fact that this lump is painless, and the fact that you have not mentioned any difficulty in your day-to-day activity due to this lump is a little surprising, I shall try my best to put forward all the possibilities:
-Quadriceps tendon rupture (usually painful, and tender to touch)
-Quadriceps tendonitis (pain and swelling of the quadriceps tendon)
-Exostosis (extra growth of the bone, possible below the tendon; could be painful or painless)
-Prepatellar bursitis (mildly painful or painless)
-Osteochondroma (mildly painful or painless)
-Osgood-Schlatter disease (usually painful)
-Cyst (could be painful or painless)
and a few other conditions.

It is easy to assume conditions, as there are many. But the best thing to do now, is to visit an orthopaedician (bone specialist) and get physically examined along with an x-ray of the region. I am sure, once visualized, the diagnosis will be easy to make. Do not worry, all these conditions are simple to treat, and should not cause any trouble to your daily life once treated.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.