Lump above belly button, soft, moves when touched. Could it be from strenuous exercise?

General Surgeon
I have a protruding lump about the size of a quarter about 3 inches above my belly button. I noticed it while working out with weight last week, it is soft and moves when touched. I remember having it come and go over the years and pointing it out to my doctor once, and he didn't act like it was anything. Could it be from strenuous exercise? I also had horrible bronchitis for three weeks and was coughing constantly. Could that have caused this?

When I lye down it doesn't shoe, just when I stand up straight. And when I lye Dow I t doesn't feel like anything. Just when standing,fells soft and kind of swishy.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand your health concern.

By your description, you seem to be suffering from epigastric hernia. It can be caused due to excessive strain on abdominal muscles, which may be due to strenuous exercise or due to excessive cough that you had.

I would like to know if it is painful or if it causes any discomfort.

For confirmation, you need to be examined by a surgeon.

Hope this helps. Please do write back for further discussion on this.

Get well soon.

Dr. Rajat Gupta