Lower spinal bone touches the nerve. MRI and LS spine done. Prescribed acenac MR, veloz D, gabantin forte. What is the alternative treatment?

Mother aged 70yrs has recently had MRI Scan of LS Spine (Back). We took Doctors suggestion, he says that the lower spinal bone is touching the nerve and due to this there is a continous pain. Prescribed medicines are ACENAC MR, VELOZ D, GABANTIN FORTE. Please advice whether the medicines is beneficial in this conditions. She has a pain in the lower back since 1 year now. She is able to sit upright and sleep but having difficulty in walking due to pain. Please kindly suggest some alternative treatment as she is not ready for for her back surgery. Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 minutes later
Thanks for the question.
These medications are surely helpful in cases like her. Since she has the symptoms due to compression of nerves, there are several treatment options available.

Conservative treatment include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. Since she is already receiving anti-inflammatory medications (ACENAC MR) , she needs to have a session with a physiotherapist and avoid activities like bending or lifting any weights. The physiotherapy session needs to be supervised by an orthopaedic surgeon. A lot of patients would improve with this within six weeks to three months.

If she does not improve with the treatments listed above, an epidural steroid injection can be tried. With the help of an X-ray machine, a physician injects steroid medication between the bones of the spine adjacent to the involved nerves. This can help to rapidly reduce the inflammation and irritation of the nerve and help reduce the symptoms of radiculopathy.

In some cases the symptoms continue despite all of the above treatment options. If this occurs and the symptoms are severe, surgery may be an option. The goal of the surgery is to remove the compression from the affected nerve. Depending on the cause of the radiculopathy, this can be done by a laminectomy or a discectomy. A laminectomy removes a small portion of the bone covering the nerve to allow it to have additional space. A discectomy removes the portion of the disk that has herniated out and is compressing a nerve.

I would suggest you to see a spine specialist who will take into account severity of your symptoms and MRI findings to guide about the treatment. Since she is not ready for surgery she can try other treatment option, which I have suggested.

Let me know if I you need any more help.