Ask a Dentist   »  

Lower molar cracked. Having lump under the tooth, cancer?. Do I need root canal?

My lower molar - next to last one is cracked. I wAs told I needed a root canal but Dds has left area! Now I have pain there and a lump underneath tooth - like on jaw And is tender to the touch. Sometimes the pain radiates to mmy ear. Do I have cancer??? I don't want to be toothless !!

Going to my husbands longtime family dds in jersey even though we line I the city. That last dentist up left! Do I have cancer and does infection XXXXXXX to the bone" -- is that really bad??
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum,

I understand your concern, please do not panic this is surely not a cancer nor you will be toothless!
Toothache along with swelling indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissues like bone leading to abscess formation.

I would suggest you to visit to the Dentist and get an x-ray done; drainage of the abscess is required. Depending upon the x-ray the treatment will be either root canal treatment or extraction. You probably have to go for root canal treatment of the tooth followed by the placement of prosthetic crown.

Antibiotics and analgesics will give a temporary relief, unless your tooth is drained for abscess, devitalized and sealed.
At home, take lukewarm saline rinses to give a soothing effect.
Take antiseptic mouthwash rinses like chlorhexidine to prevent infection and promote healing.

Hope this answered your query, if you have any other queries I will be happy to answer.

Wishing you good health!

Take care!
Dr Qazi.