Lower lip moving itself. Reasons ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my lower lip left side is moving by it is own self , no other symptoms
just to let u know that am under stress preparing for Fpgee exam next week
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 47 minutes later

Do you drink a lot of coffee or energy drinks since recently.

Do you smoke.

Do you have headache, visual disturbances.

Lower lip moving by itself can be due to variety of reasons. But giving your history of recent stress and possible overwork it can be related to that ask well.

This phenomenon is called myokymia, which is quivering of a certain part of the body due to possible nerve irritation. Causes include sleep deprivation, excess consumption of stimulants like coffee, smoking, energy drinks, electrolyte abnormalities, carbon dioxide retention, as well.

You need to avoid overwork. Take frequent short breaks while working. Take long XXXXXXX breaths for 1-2 minutes, every half an hour. This will help cleanse out all the waste gases from the body and help in relaxation. This is the XXXXXXX breathing technique. Also add Yoga to your routine for effective stress relief.

Eat healthy. Avoid junk food. Drink plenty of water. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, using stimulants except not more than 2-3 cups of coffee or tea daily. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes as this will help in increasing endorphin levels which add to stress relief and also improve circulation to all parts of the body.

If this problem does not subside in a few weeks you may need to consult a Neurologist to look for possible organic causes for this problem.

Kindly do reply to my questions as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Lower lip moving itself. Reasons ? 16 minutes later
i do not sleep regular and really under stress due to my exam , i don't drink alcohol but consume coffee and power shots from time to time , this movement occur not that much like 4 to 5 times daily last for least than 2 to 4 seconds
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

According to your history, consistence with most of the causes of myokymia are noted.

Do avoid excess stimulant consumption. Make time for 6-8 hours of sleep.
Do XXXXXXX breathing exercise as well. Add exercise daily into your daily regime for added stress relief as well.

It appears to be a minor problem which will resolve once the stressful situation and the new habits associated have been removed. Don't worry, take good care of your health.

GOOD LUCK !!!! for your Exams.