Lower lip is swollen and sensitive. Treatment?

My lower lip is swollen and sensitive. It's never been like this before. I am not aware of eating anything different than I would on a normal day. The medications that I take, I have been taking for years. The only insect bites that I am aware of are mosquito bites (2).
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be angioedema

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided, it seems you could be having angioedema.
Angioedema is swelling of deeper skin tissues and involves lips, tongue, areas around eyes etc. It may be associated with sensation of numbness, burning or heaviness in the area.
It may be asscociated with food allergy or drug allergy or sometimes insect bites but at times may occur without any obvious cause.
I would like to know since how long are you having it. If it has been persistent or if the swelling has reduced
If there has been previous episodes of similar involvement
If there is an associated pus formed lesion nearby lip
If you have used any new cosmetic or lipstick

If possible please attach an image of affected area.

These queries would help in ruling out any other possible cause for lip swelling like granulomatous cheilitis or cheilitis glandularis where the swelling is persistent since long.

In the interim, take an oral antihistamine like benadryl or cetirizine. If there is any associated symptom like difficulty in swallowing or breathing, please see a doctor on urgent basis.

Hope that helped.