Lower lip cancer, biopsy shows history of well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma infilterating into muscle. Further treatment?

Oncologist, Surgical
My dad was diagnosed with lower lip cancer (squamous cell carcinoma). We got the MRI done for neck region and it was found that it was limited to lip region only. We got him operated and the biopsy report of operated portion says "The section shows histology of well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma infilterating into muscle". Please let me know the further course of treatment required for him. As per doctor it should be out of the system now.
Patient's age - 68 years, non-smoker, never consumed tobacco.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 15 hours later
Thanks for the query and I have seen your reports.

If the surgical treatment is complete (surgery for lip and if required a neck dissection may be done) then further therapy depends on the histopathology report.

Sometimes radiation may be required. Your doctor is best guide to you to decide whether radiation is required. I suppose, in your case, surgery itself may be adequate.

In any case, he would be required to be on follow up at regular intervals.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Lower lip cancer, biopsy shows history of well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma infilterating into muscle. Further treatment? 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I have just one more question, if radiation is required then it would be for lower lip only or it would be for some other organs also(like neck, etc). Please note that as per MRI, it was localized to lip only and had not spread anywhere else.
Also, if possible, please let me know the average expense(ball park figure) for radtiation therapy in such cases.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 2 hours later
I would not be able to comment on requirement of radiation. However, it could be only for the lip or for lip and neck.

The planning depends on the pathology report and input from the surgeon. Localization only to lip based on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) is not the ONLY criteria on which radiation is planned.

Depending on the machine and place, it could cost anywhere from Rs10, 000 to 1.5 lakhs.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.