Lower leg pain, ankle pain, taking Ibuprofen. Family history of Osgood Schlatter's disease

my daughter is 10- she is a tall girl 5'1 and weighs about 130 lbs. She is very active and plays on a softball travel team that practices about 4 times per week and also plays volleyball locally. She complains often of lower leg pain- shins and calves as well as ankle pain. She seems to have very large bones and is very muscular. The pain she describes seems to come from the bones rather than the muscles (as in cramp) I've tried massaging the muscles when she's hurting and it does not seem to help. Ibuprofen and rest usually relieve the pain. I have a brother that had Osgood Schlatter's disease (? spelling) but remembers that his pain was more in his knee area. I am not sure how to help her and whether to take her to doctor or not and where to start- pediatrician or sports medicine, etc.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Osgood-Schlatter disease is a painful swelling of the bump on the upper part of the shinbone, just below the knee.
The main symptom is painful swelling over a bump on the lower leg bone (shinbone). Symptoms occur on one or both legs.

The person may have leg pain or knee pain, which gets worse with running, jumping, and climbing stairs.
The area is tender to pressure, and swelling ranges from mild to very severe.

Osgood-Schlatter disease will almost always goes away on its own once the child stops growing.

I don't think that she is suffering from this disease.

I feel she is suffering from osteomalacia called as rickets in children where there is softening of bones due to lack of VIT D.
She may require large doses of VIT D and calcium.
Please consult a pediatrician and get her investigated by getting
Bone X-ray,serum calcium,serum VIT D,serum phosphorous etc.

I hope to have answered you query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck