Lower calf pain,swelling,bruising,vein prominence,streaking,no blistering

General Surgeon
I have recently (4 days) been bit in the lower calf by an unknown aggressor. There is no blistering, but some pain, swelling, bruising, vein prominence and streaking from the site. I am taking antibiotics, but it seems to be getting worse. I am 36 and in good health. Just wondering if I should worry or let it take it's course.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later

You have suffered trauma to your lower calf muscles ,which is getting worse even after you are taking antibiotics.

Main symptoms you are suffering from post trauma is pain , swelling ,bruising ,vein prominence and streaking from the traumatic site.

There is no break in the continuity of the skin and no blistering.

Since you have mentioned bite by a aggressor and you do not know whether it is human or animal it is better to get vaccinated for rabies and also take tetanus toxoid injections

Post traumatic swelling and bruising increases in the initial 2-3 days ,then it start subsiding.

Along with a course of antibiotics you also need some pain killer and anti inflammatory drug like Tylenol.

Rest and elevation of part is essential and will give faster relief.

So along with antibiotics and analgesic ,you should keep the leg elevated for 15 -20 degree only for 3-4 days and also give rest to the leg.

There are considerable chance you may recover .

If no response with in another 3-4 days than consultation from orthosurgeon will be beneficial.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Lower calf pain,swelling,bruising,vein prominence,streaking,no blistering 11 hours later
I apologize for not being very clear in my initial message. This appears to be a bug or spider bite. I do not recall being bit. Due to redness and swelling, it is difficult to see any puncture. Does this information change anything?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 54 minutes later

Nice to hear from you again,

If it is a bite due to some bug or spider what so it may be.

It needs anti-allergic medicine along with antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs.

Rest line of treatment is same.

You could be possibly suffering from cellulitis.

You need to take full course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs.

Keep a watch on the swelling if your swelling is not getting better with these medicines please see a surgeon near by you.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.