Lower backache and leg pain while sleeping. X-ray done. What is the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Why does my low back ache and sometimes my leg when I sleep on my side? I have had my hips x-rayed and the joint seems to be fine.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later
Dear user,

Your lower back seems to hurt in a particular position. The reason could be a nerve compression in that position which can be elicited by bending on sides in standing posture. The nerves coming out of spine innervate your legs, hence the radiating pain is felt in legs to. X XXXXXXX of hips were obviously unnecessary.

To confirm the diagnosis visit your orthopaedician and have your back examined followed by an x ray/ mri of lumbar spine. Meanwhile avoid sleeping on sides or bending forwards, lifting heavy objects and most important self medication. Also discontinue all exercises of your daily routine if any.

To have back ache due to inter-vertebral disc degeneration/ prolapse is common at your age, and I hope you will take necessary actions immediately. I'm available for any further queries.