Lower back pain, used to go to gym earlier. Kindly advise

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Lower Back PainIam a male aged 28, height 5(10) and weight 77. Iam suffering from low back pain since last 4-5 years. Earlier, it occured rarely and use to last for a day or two, that too not severe. But since last 20 days, it has been continuous and getting severe everyday. By touching, I can feel the problem is in the lowest round shaped bone of spine, causing pain in and around the area.

I suspect gyming at my early twenties may have caused the problem I have never consulted any doctor earlier.

Kindly advise the treatment / doctors in pune (India).

I have read that lower Back pain that starts to move down to hips and legs is critical and needs to be diagnosed by specialist, but in my case the pain has not spread down until now. Kindly advise accordingly.

Thanks XXXXXXX Kandari
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in your lower back can be due to
Nerve root syndrome - produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration

Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning
The exercise you did few years ago is not likely to be responsible for the pain you are having now.
A clinical examination by an orthopedician and investigations like MRI will help in determining the actual cause.
Most of the times such pains can be adequately controlled by careful use of analgesics in combination with muscle relaxants. Improvising the body posture while standing and avoiding lifting heavy weights will be helpful.
I encourage you to consult a nearby Orthopedician for proper investigations so that proper treatment can be initiated depending on the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Lower back pain, used to go to gym earlier. Kindly advise 1 hour later
Thanks for your quick response.

As advised, I will visit a orthopedician. Apart from MRI, are there any specific tests I should ask doctor to conduct or any specific detail I should discuss.

Thanks for writing again.
In addition to MRI, your orthopedician may order serum calcium, Vitamin D3 and B12 levels, physiotherapist to learn related exercises for a long term benefit.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.