Lower back pain, stomach pain, loose stools, abdominal pain, ovarian cysts. Have IBS and panic attacks

Question
hi for weeks ive had lower back pain,slight ache in belly, losse stools daily, abominal pain but i have cysts on overies which ive had for year, i do sutter with panic attack and when i do worry about things i do need to have very lose stool, but because going on for weeks and back really aches im really worried. thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The abdominal pain, loose stools which are precipitated on a panic attack are related to the irritable bowel.
The lower back pain that you are having might be related to myofascial syndromes, muscle sprain, herniated lumbar discs, abnormal body postures, calcium and vitamin D3 deficiency, etc.
The exact diagnosis can only be made after a proper examination and investigations like blood tests and X-ray and MRI of the spine. You can consult your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Lower back pain, stomach pain, loose stools, abdominal pain, ovarian cysts. Have IBS and panic attacks 5 hours later
Hi I forgot to mention that I'm having bowel movement every few hours and is alway very lose, its weird if I'm sitting forward my lower back hurts more,for some reason when I sit backwards the pain easies but still there. And seems to easy of when standing or walking around,I'm more worried about the lose stolls every few hours as its been going on for weeks and weeks,I haven't noticed any blood in my stools,and I'm not losing weight,just thought I mention because have cysts on my overies I have lower twinging pain in abdominal and I haven't had period for 4 months due it cysts,but this is long term thing I've had for 13years. The pain in my back is quiet bad as have to take painkillers sometimes.plz could u put my mind at rest as I'm really worried about bowel caner and is making me panic about it thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Loose stools for last many weeks may be due to a gut infection or a chronic cause like IBS or Chrohn's disease. You need to get blood, stool, urine tests and stool culture which may find the infection causing diarrhea. If these tests come out normal then other tests including X-rays or procedures such as colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy may be needed under the guidance of a gastroenterologist.

Till that time, you may try the following
1. Take over the counter lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.
3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea.
For the bad backache that you are having, you need oral muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside and adequate rest. To find out the organic cause, a physical examination by an orthopedician will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.