Lower back pain, stenosis, scolicis, arthritic nerve pressure, on epidurals that cause serious side effects. Any suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
have lower back pain stenosis scolicis arthritic nerve pressure etc have had 9 epideurials many rx that put me to sleep and constipate me capsicine ointment spread esternally really halps but my quality of life is very poor can hardly do anything standing is very limited qanysuggestions would be great i'm 76
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The severe lower back pain with scoliosis and nerve compression symptoms are due to a disc prolapse. It seems that you have been severely affected by it. If there is pain causing disability, numbness, weakness, loss of urinary or bowel control, then surgical decompression of the nerves needs to be considered.
Medical treatment includes pain killers, muscle relaxants, epidural steroid injections and physical therapy after the acute pain subsides.
You can go for a lumbar traction for symptomatic relief and consult a spine surgeon for surgical correction.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.