Lower back pain, fatigue. Tested negative for gout and lupus. Appendix had pus. What can help?

I'm having lower back pain it hurts when I stand, bend and walk very stiff in the morning and doing the day. The pain goes down my hips and my thigh and stop at my knees. sometimes my husband have to help me get out of bed and when I am sitting. I have alot of fatigue. I doesn't go away when I am at rest. I started taking presidone and indomethacin 50mg which was given to me for swellen in my right hand they thought was gout but it wasn't. I was tested for Lupus I don't have that either. My joints make noises when I move them epecially my knees and elbow. My eyes feel itchy and when I rub them they sound squeeky and they hurt sometimes I see purple colrs sometimes yellow. I'm starting to see these light colored spots on my legs, arms and face what are these and can I get rid of them. I am going thru menopause havn't been tested have all the sysptoms. I am 45 years of age had a hysteromy in 1994 I only have one ovary. I had my appendix taking out in July 2011 and gallbladder in 1990 had some cyst in my breast had them removed doing the years. Had a heart XXXXXXX done for chest pain in 2010. I had a knot to appear out of no where on my forhead. I do have high blood pressure, High Choles. I feel better than I have in along time since I started taking the presidone and indomethacin 50 mg. Just taking a shower takes alot out of me. Please help I don't Have Health Insurance. When the doctor took out my appendix he told me I had a lot of pus and that I was a sick woman. The way he explained I was very lucky to come in to the ER when I did. I was on alot of anbotics excuse my spelling.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The persistent back pain that you are having can be due to-
• Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning
All these causes need to be ruled out after proper investigations under the guidance of your orthopedician. The treatment depends on the cause. Till then you can continue taking indomethacin and do a hot fomentation for relief. Do not take steroids like prednisolone without a doctor's prescription.
The spots you have on your skin and the problem in your eyes can only be treated after an examination by a specialist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Lower back pain, fatigue. Tested negative for gout and lupus. Appendix had pus. What can help? 47 hours later
This morning I started having a cramping feeling in the middle of my spine feeling very tired don't feel well at all. I have to force myself to eat. Still having lower back pain and stiffness that goes down to my knees. Have a burning sensation in my enter thigh and sometimes my arms and legs and feet. It starts off tingling and then the burning. I tried eating but I had to force myself. I'm having some lower abdnomial pain can't stand straight. Still very tender where I had my appendix taken out. You think maybe I'm still have a infection they had me on alot of antiobotic when I was in the hospital in July. My glands are not swollen and I couldn't get warm at all yestersday and the palm of my hands was really pale. Having no dairreha and no problem urinating. When I stand feel like I'm going to fall over and my walking is like I'm standing on a ball. I lose my balance sometimes hard to think. I put some of this on menopause but I don't know any more.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are not likely to be due to an infection.These are more likely to be related to a nerve root compression at the spinal level. A thorough evaluation from your Orthopedician will help in the diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
Hope my answer is helpful.