Lower back pain, convulsions, stretches used to prevent it. On medication for back pain. Permanent cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Dear Doctor,

I am 25 years old male and weight 68.7Kgs at the hight of 5'10''. I have been working in software firm for an year now and I am experiencing lower back pain from past 6 to 7 months. Its not that severe but at times its annoying. I have to seat at one place for more than 8 hours a day and have to ride bike for an hour a day as a part of my daily regime.
I experience a convulsion in my lower back when i wake up in the morning which I try to overcome with stretches. I even workout 4 to 5 days a week at gym and do the stretches which are generally suggested for back pain thrice a week.
I remember visiting a general physician for my back pain once when it had gone too intense, he prescribed some medications which in tern reduced the pain but didn't fix it completely. Please help.

Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Hello Ameya,

The backache in your case is primarily due to a faulty lifestyle and is occurring due to excessive muscle strain.

Pain killers will only provide temporary relief. Physiotherapy will however be more beneficial for you. If the problem persists, try the following:
1.     Take breaks and stretch your back every half hour of continuous posture in office or travel.
2.     Use an appropriate posture while working. You can find details of a good working position at WWW.WWWW.WW 3.     Consult an experienced physiotherapist for target exercises and diathermy if required.
4.     Consult an orthopaedic surgeon to evaluate you for any pathology of lower spine which can have similar symptoms if your backache persists even after doing the above for a couple of months.

I hope I have answered your query.