Lower back pain and sciatica pain. MRI showed disc bulges and nerve impingement. Treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I have had left lower back pain and sciatica since a fall off my horse 12 months ago and a fall off a motor bike 12 months before that.
Recently I had and MRI of my lumbar spine that showed disc bulges from L2-S2 with an annular tear and nerve impingement of L3-4.
I also have intermittent episodes of neurogenic bowel.
I have had extensive physio/exercises etc with very little effect.
What treatment options do you recommend?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Surgery is warranted when neurogenic bowel or bladder dysfunction.

A discectomy is a surgical procedure that aims to remove the parts of the disc that are bulging through the connective tissues and putting pressure on other elements of the spine. Recently a minimally invasive surgical technique has been developed in order to reduce the recovery time for this procedure. In the worst cases, some patients may be candidates for a disc replacement surgery, in which the damaged disc is removed and an artificial disc is inserted in its place.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.