Lower back pain and groin pain after standing for some time. Noticed blood in stool. What's wrong?

General Surgeon
Lower back pain especially when standing for some time at the same time groin pain on left side going down to the left testicle, today I noticed bright red blood in my stools,(none on tissue) stools are normal colour although a little hard, abdomen a little tender, I take 1/2 a Co-Diovan (160/12.5) for blood pressure, today's blood pressure 125/84 BPM 64 and syscor for a problem 2 year ago when my artery to heart was collapsing. I have cysts on my liver and kidneys but after ct scan was told not a problem and about 7 years ago had an ultrasound for pains in left testicle which also were cysts and told no problem. Thanks
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower back pain radiating to the groin and testicle is very characteristic for kidney stones or reason of such blood in stool are hemorrhoids but it can be also rectal polyp or colon cancer. That is why, in people over 50, when blood in stool appears, colonoscopy should be performed.
To diagnose urine infection/stones, urine analysis should be done as well as abdominal ultrasound. Full blood work should be also performed to see if there is any WBC elevation and if the hemoglobin level is not low.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.