Lower back pain, abdominal pain, blood in stools, nausea, dizziness, vaginal ultrasound normal, history of ruptured ovarian cyst. Causes ?

for the past month I"ve had pain in my right lower back and side abdomen... have a history of a ruptured ovarian cyst in 2008... went to the dr. last week, had a vaginal image taken.. it was normal... yesterday - went to the bathroom after lunch (where I had 3 glasses of water and a chicken salad) I had a BM and it was EXTREMELY nothing I"ve every experienced! I became dizzy and had nausea from the pain - the room was literally spinning.... i looked in, didn't see anything suspicious... since then I have been constantly nauseaus had pain in my upper shoulders and a stiff neck for a while and this evening the area where the pain is , is noticeably swolen... what should I do? the pain is like a dull burning sensation.... that calms and flares up - this is the most that I've seen it swolen...
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

An extremely painful bowel movement with dizziness and vomiting along with pain in lower right abdomen might be due to an acute abdomen resulting from-
1. Acute appendicitis - inflammation of appendix.
2. Acute gastroenteritis- infection of gut due to contaminated food.
3. Renal calculus- A stone in renal tissue or urinary tract.
4. Gall bladder calculi with cholecystitis.

This problem needs an immediate medical attention and investigations like Ultrasound scan of the abdomen, CT scan of the abdomen and a complete blood count,. etc., to rule out the exact cause for such severe pain. I insist you to consult a physician who can guide you through the tests.

Do not try to self medicate yourself as a delay might be XXXXXXX

Hope this answers your query.

I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you might have.

Follow-up: Lower back pain, abdominal pain, blood in stools, nausea, dizziness, vaginal ultrasound normal, history of ruptured ovarian cyst. Causes ? 11 hours later
Thanks for the response..... Since my last note..I was constipated last night and had abdominal cramping, just a little... drank some tea and woke up and did have a bowel movement - a normal one with some help from the tea. I still have the pain and swelling in my right side. Is this something that I need to address immediately in the ER or shall I wait to see my Dr. next week for these tests? I'm almost certain I can get this resolved quicker if I go to the ER. ??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The externally evident pain and swelling on the abdomen might be something serious. You need to attend ER for immediate medical attention and required investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.