Lower back pain. Done with radio frequency ablation and epidural steroid injections. Suggest treatment

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I'm not sure anyone can help me. 20 years of lower back pain, physio, acupuncture and several nerve root injects then 2 procedures this year; radio frequency ablation and epidural steroid injections and loads of pain medications with no resolve. 3 weeks ago I flew to Sydney, to have an upright MRI which states mild disc bulge L4 L5 and S1 with annular tears. What can I have done to stop my pain in your opinion please? I'm so sick of living with this unable to do ordinary everyday things when the pain gets really bad.... As it is now while I lay on my lounge typing to you. Thanks. XXXX.

Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spinal disc decompression will help

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Your MRI says disc bulge L4 L5 and S1 with annular tears leads to compression of nerve root which. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your back and leg.

You have completed all sorts of conservative therapy and you are not getting expected result.
So now I will advise you to go for minimal invasive spine surgery and decompression of annular tear and disc bulge.
A word of experience, ask your doctor to look for any facet arthropathy in your MRI spine.

Later on follow post surgery rehabilitation and physiotherapy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Lower back pain. Done with radio frequency ablation and epidural steroid injections. Suggest treatment 22 hours later
I should have mentioned that I do have some normal degeneration in my joints and also that there was no seen nerve root compression. Does this change your opinion please.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery may help as disc bulge will be removed

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

As your all conservative treatment are not giving expected result.
MRI shows disc bulge so surgery will give you better relief.

As I said rule out facet degeneration and canal stenosis on MRI.