Lower back hurts on the left side and have struggle to get up when lying on stomach. Any solution?

When I lie on my stomach with my head proped up on my hands watching T.v. my lower back hurts on the leftside I struggle to get up but once I'm takes a few seconds then I'm fine.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

It most probably seems like a spasm in your lower back muscles and the hamstrings.

Doing stretching exercises of the back and hamstrings will help you enormously. You can learn them by a trained Physiotherapist.

Apply warm compresses to the lower back when the pain is more. Do not lie down in the same position for long time. You can slowly change your positions.

A moderate amount of physical activity for 30 minutes is proven to be beneficial in most joint and bone ailments.

Over the counter drug like Tylenol can be used in case the pain is unbearable.

Hope this helps, please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Lower back hurts on the left side and have struggle to get up when lying on stomach. Any solution? 18 hours later
so it doesn't have anything to do with my kidney cause its just under the ribcage were the pain occurs and its not all the time . but as long as I change positions regularly it doesn't bother me. try to be little more active. doesn't bother me when moving around
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I do not think it has anything to do with the kidneys. Your kidneys are normal.

Please follow the suggestions in my earlier reply. Try to be active and move around often.

In general, drink plenty of fluids orally.

If you have no further queries, please close the discussion and write a review.

I wish you good health.