Lower back discomfort that increases with walking and standing. History of lumbar spinal fusion. What could be causing this?

I have had a lumbar spinal fusion 3 yrs. ago. I continue to have a pressure and heaviness of my lower back that increases with walking and standing. What could be causing this?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Regarding the lower back pain which increases on standing and walking, I feel you are probably suffering from spinal stenosis. Spinal disc degeneration coupled with disease in joints of the low back can lead to spinal-canal narrowing (spinal stenosis). People with spinal stenosis may have pain which can sometimes radiate down both lower extremities while standing for a long time or walking even short distances.

Other reason may be just musculoskeletal pain localized to the back. In the back ground of spinal fusion in the past I would tend to favour spinal stenosis.

If you cannot manage the pain using the medicine you are currently prescribed, this may be an indication for a re-evaluation from your spine surgeon. Because many different conditions may cause back pain, a thorough medical history is required along with a good clinical examination from your GP. X XXXXXXX or an MRI of the back can help in arriving at the diagnosis.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R