Lower abdominal pain, which started after having ramipril for hypertension. Why do I still have loss of appetite?

I have lower left quadrant abdominal pain, which started after I was prescribed ramipril 2.5mg OD 5 weeks ago for hypertension. It has usually resolved after 24-48 hours however this last episode has now lasted 4 days and is still ongoing. There are no other symptoms, apart from a slight loss of appetite.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence. I have prescribing ramipril to hypertensive patients for over a decade now. I am pretty sure when I say that
Ramipril does not cause abdominal pain. You have pain now ongoing for 4 days and it is in left quadrant of abdomen. We will have to find some other abdominal cause for it. Have you traveled to to any tropical country recently? Are your bowel motion normal? Most common causes are related to gastrointestinal system. Coomenest cause for left sided abdominal pain is colitis, though that will produce some diarrhea with it. Giardiasis and amoibiasis may not be associated with diarrhea. You are 53 and hypertensive, we should not loose sight of atherosclerosis. Involvement of mesenteric artery (supplying lower gastrointestinal tract) can be affected by this disease causing a condition aptly named abdominal angina. There is no abnormality in passing urine and no reddish colour for renal stone disease is the other cause which comes to mind. You need to see the doctor and get this sorted out. If pain is severe walk in ER otherwise wait till out patient department opens.

To be XXXXXXX there is cause for concern not for panic. Take some carbonated drink like diet Coke or diet Pepsi. Try to relax.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW