Lower abdominal pain, itching on hand, scalp, ear and arm. Temporary relief from benadryl. Medical cure?

Sudden lower abdominal pain with itchy hands and bottom if feet. Progressed to very painful cramping then rash head to toe. Very itchy on scalp ears and arms. Took benedryl abd rash has subsided, after three hours. This happened two months ago but with diarrhea.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

In my opinion the most likely possibility would be an allergic reaction that has resulted in a rash. When an individual comes in contact with an allergen (in your case, an ingested allergen; i.e. something you have eaten) the body reacts and tries its best to expel it out, which causes the abdominal cramping.

Some of the most common allergens include:
-Nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashew, etc.)
-Sesame seeds

Once this particular allergen comes in contact with the body, the immune system releases substances that cause a certain presentation in the body in the form of a rash and itching.

Due to the urgency and need to expel this particular substance from the body, the body does not go about the natural digestion process, which results in abnormal stool (i.e. diarrhea).

The best treatment for this would be with anti-histamine medication (eg. pheniramine, cetirizine, etc.). I hope your rash (also called urticaria) has already subsided completely. Also, once the allergen is recognized, completely avoiding it in the future is advised.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.