Lower abdominal pain, endometrial cells. PAP and biopsy abnormal. Family history of cancer. Can I do D&C?

Abn PAP, Abn Biopsy-no symptoms, no risks :

I recently received the results of my annual PAP which indicated endometrial cells and was scheduled for a biopsy which was also read as abnormal. I'm 45 years old, am not overweight, am not having any abnormal bleeding or cramping, and have never been on tamoxifen. I'm thin and when I lay on my back I can palpate two less than golf ball size massess in my lower abdomen primarily on the right side. I'm negative for HPV and can't seem to get any answers. They want to scheduled a D &C and hysteroscopy. My husband works in a foreign country and won't be back for a month, we have two young children and my grandmother died of "female" cancer (no one seems to know what kind). How worried should I be?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

With the family history of female cancer, your risk is more as compared to normal woman.

Regarding the two masses on your right side lower abdomen, you should have an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to know from where it is arising and what it is.

With abnormal Papanicolaou smear and biopsy, if your doctor has advised hysteroscopy and D and C (Dilatation and curettage), I believe you should go for it. It is small day care procedure and most probably you will be discharged from hospital within few hours.

Best wishes,