Lower abdominal pain, bruised feeling with bloating in one area. Cause and cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have had lower abdominal pain in a specific location (lower middle left side, 3" left and 2" south of my belly button) for the past few days. It felt like I was brused on the inside, however I have done no abnormal activity. I quit eating for a few days, to see if my system can reajust, It feels like blooting in one particular area. If I pass gas it helps. I am not one to complain about nothing, and very rarely go to the hospital.
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
If you dont experience some other symptoms such as blood in stool, opstipation, fever or nausea and vomiting I dont think this would be something serious.

Considering your age and pain localization there are various possible causes of your pain. First to think of is diverticulitis which starts suddenly and cause sharp, burning pain in left lower abdominal area. DIagnosis can be confirmed only by CT scan and then this is easily treated conservatively by antibiotics.
So I think you should visit gastroenterologist if your symptoms pesist more than 5 days or you notice some of the signs I ve mentioned above.

Other possible causes are rectal and anal lesions, polyps, haemorrhoids, diverticulosis, or hernias. These all are benign disorders and it should be evaluated by colonoscopy which is recommended as a preventional screening test for men >50 years or >55 in some countries, also, before colonoscopy you should do occult blood stool test. It would also rule out possible malignancies so I suggest to consult your GP about it.
WIsh you good health.
Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.