Lower abdominal pain and bleeding when standing for long, have IUD put in. What is going on?

I have been having stabbing lower abdominal pains along with light bleeding every time I work out or I am on my feet for too long after having an IUD (Mirena) put in 1.5 weeks ago. This only happens when I am active. I also get a sharp pain that goes down my right quads and sometimes my vagina. The IUD placement was extremely painful and the pain lasted for 4 days. Afterwards, I get stabbing pain for hours after I go on a run or I am on my feet for a little too long. The strings are still in place. What is going on? Will this pain eventually subside or is this IUD not meant for me?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
The sharp pain that you are feeling on doing an activity is likely to be due to pelvic inflammation in reaction to the IUD that has been inserted.
You need to take ibuprofen and anti spasmodics for a week and see if this inflammation subsides. Usually it takes 3-4 weeks for the body to get adjusted to the device. It is good that you are taking adequate measures to avoid constipation.
In case the pain is persistent then an antibiotic like doxycycline or minocycline might be needed to take care of the infection.
In the mean time, home measures such as hot compresses over the lower abdomen can help.

Be assured it is not a serious problem and will be redressed by assurance and proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.