Lower abdominal flutter, happens when sneezing or coughing, stops when standing up

Two days ago I started feeling a slight fluttering feeling in my lower right abdomen, then I notice that when in some positions it felt like a muscle cramp, it happens when I sneeze or cough as well. If I stand up it stops.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
It seems that you are having mild muscle twitches or fasciculations in the area.
These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.
It can happen due to serum electrolyte disturbances, hormonal imbalances, Vitamin B 12 deficiency, stress and anxiety, muscle weakness, etc.
Most of the times, the cause is self limiting and these do subside on their own without any treatment. You can take vitamin B complex supplements and electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids for a few days and see if it improves.
In case the problem is persistent, you might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.